New Ventures Maine plans to hold tuition-free workshops and online courses in October.
According to a press release from Jennifer DeJoy, Head of Communications and Development at New Ventures Maine.
The full daytime and evening class schedule for October and beyond can be accessed at newventuresmaine.org/class-schedules.
Online courses include single and multi-session workshops in three areas:
Manage your money
• My Money Works: Tuesdays, Oct. 4-Nov. 1, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Gain the skills and confidence to stretch money, pay bills, reduce debt, find money to save, plan retirement and set personal financial goals with a plan to achieve greater financial stability (also offered in November on Tuesdays from 10-11 a.m.)
• Manage your money: Thursdays, October 13 to 27, 10 to 11 a.m. Learn how to budget, repair your credit, and create a savings plan. Participate in one, two or all three workshops. Oct. 13: Basics of budgeting; Oct. 20: Let’s talk about credit; October 27: Make your savings grow.
Build your career
• Making Career Choices: Tuesday, October 4, 10-11 a.m. For those ready to change careers but not sure where to start, this workshop will cover what to consider when making a choice career and the resources to succeed. (Also offered on Wednesday, Oct. 5, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.)
• Building Confidence: Wednesdays, October 5-19, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Whether you’re navigating recent changes, looking for a job, starting a business, or just want to be more confident, join this class to assess confidence and learn practical tools to help build confidence and keep it strong.
• Job search workshops: Thursdays, October 6 to 20, 10 to 11 a.m. People ready for a new job or career change can attend one, two or all three of these workshops. Oct. 6: Job Search Strategies; October 13: Recovery strategies; October 20: Interview Strategies.
• Connecting Women to ConstructionCareers: Tuesday, October 18, 6-7:30 p.m. This 90-minute virtual session is designed for women and underrepresented workers to explore high-paying careers in the construction trades as well as low-cost or no-cost trades training programs and employment opportunities.
• Building a Strong Future in Lewiston/Auburn: Wednesdays Oct. 19-Nov. 2:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Take steps toward work that matches values and skills while meeting needs, such as desired salary and benefits. In three 90-minute class sessions, participants can begin to build a plan for the strong future they envision.
start a business
• Business Basics: Thursdays, October 6 to 20, 6 to 7 p.m. This course covers the basics of a business plan, marketing and cash flow planning. This will help assess the feasibility, desirability and viability of the business idea and get started with the plan.
• Business Success Series: Wednesdays, October 5-19, 12-1 p.m. Business Success is a series of dynamic online workshops, created to help understand and manage the many components of starting and growing a business. business successfully. Register for one or more workshops in the series. (This is the continuation of the series that began in September.)
• Tax Preparation for the Self-Employed: Thursday, October 27, 6-7 pm Learn how to organize financial records, understand tax responsibilities, become familiar with tax forms, and file your taxes with confidence. This workshop is aimed at individual entrepreneurs.
• Introduction to self-employment: Tuesday, Nov. 1, 12 p.m.-1 p.m.
The course covers the pros and cons of owning your own business, the steps needed to get started, the main elements of a business plan, and resources for success.
Lessons at your own pace:
• Grow your business online: Gain the skills, knowledge and confidence to create an attractive small business presence and website. Made possible by Empower by GoDaddy in partnership with New Ventures Maine. Sign up anytime. Work at your own pace. Complete by December 31.
• My next career move: Assess skills, interests and experiences and link them to career options. Identify high growth employment areas, explore education and training options. Strengthen your CV for a targeted job search. Register before November 18. Work at your own pace. Complete by December 31, 2022.
To register for any of the above courses, visit its website or call 207-621-3440.